For the holidays one of my coworkers made the team furikake chex mix. I’ve never had this and she told me that it’s a Hawaiian thing, where they’ll mix together furikake and honeycombs with chex mix. This is SO addicting! I decided to make some for our recent group trip to Big Bear. I think everyone liked it! If you like chex mix and you like furikake, then you will love this! Most recipes say to use corn syrup but I tried it with honey.
Here is the recipe that my coworker gave me:
½ cup light corn syrup (karo)
½ cup of sugar
½ cup of vegetable oil
1 stick of butter (unsalted)
2 Tablespoons of soy sauce
1 box of honeycombs cereal
½ box of rice chex mix cereal
½ box of corn chex mix cereal
1 lb bag of mini pretzels
1 bottle of furikake
some people like crispix cereal as well – it’s really your preference. I’ve also added popcorn before (but not this time) and some people add nuts.
1. preheat oven to 250
2. heat and melt the first 5 ingredients above in a pan.
3. using a roasting pan (like the ones you make turkey with), mix all the dry ingredients together (MINUS THE FURIKAKE).
4. pour the melted butter/oil/sugar over the cereal and mix well.
5. place in oven for an hour, mixing about every 10 – 15 minutes. after the first 10 minutes, pour furikake over the cereal mix and mix well ( I pretty much use the whole bottle, but it also depends on your bottle size.
6. after it’s done for an hour, take it out and let it cool before you put it in containers.